torstai 2. kesäkuuta 2022

Working for dharma, parenthood, money and retreats

 

Working for dharma, parenthood, money and retreats


For many years I have encouraged our acharyas and lamas to grow the sangha but very little has been done. This is why I was raging for few weeks on the staff earlier this Spring. It seems to have worked a bit since people of the staff have started taking actual measures to grow the sangha. Why grow the sangha?


For many reasons, everything from bodhicitta to establishing Pemako in this world, to reach people who have the necessary karmic connections and so on, but also to find people who are fit and ready to do this with us who are already here, but lonely and unsupported. Even I am lonely wondering what the hell am I doing here! After 15 years! I have really done everything to make people active and I couldn't have done a thing more.


Our activities are dependent on many people, not just me. Do not expect to be served and do not expect to walk to a set table. It is too early for you to hang out and wait to be served. Without activity, you'll remain alone forever. If you want to make this work as a community, you have to create a local groups wherever you are and make it strong. Sangha members in other countries can't hug you when you need it.


If you have local groups, then immediately there is demand for local retreats, and this in turn makes the cash register chink. Someone has to start and hussle, and make it work. If you work sincerely for the dharma, it will support you and you don't have to go a day without food or other basic necessities. Despite of many hard years of endless work hours, I have even paid my old debts fro my music days because someone was so grateful for my teachings that he made a big donation. That was in 2010. My point is that I know what I'm talking about, the dharma never fails you. If there's a will, there's a way. I always dreamed of having native English and living in America. Had I started teaching in the States, the sangha would be hundreds of people by now, with plenty of resources, own center and so on.


I know from my own experience how demanding it is to have small children but also having to work to pay the bills. I know all about it. For those of you who want to work in dharma, whether dharma lite like mindfulness or healing or heavy-weight dharma like tantra, my advice for you is to not wait for later. Take the first step and start today. It is a jump into the unknown but the gurus and the dharma will hold you. If you hear the call, don't waste your time in worldly jobs. If you work hard you can, not only support yourself and your family but gather immense merit in spreading the dharma, helping people awaken and grow, and learn about the dharma yourself. Few are called to this work but those who are should definitely embrace it.


Long story short, it is not that children are not allowed on retreats but we just don't have the people to handle everything. We don't have enough people! Our community is tiny and the resources are scant. Fuck me, if it was up to me and I had plenty of money, I'd be raising activities like hell! Such is my love and dedication towards my gurus and their teachings.


But these things are not up to me anymore. They are up to my students.


DVR, 2.6.2022