tiistai 25. lokakuuta 2022

About friendship and boundaries in dharma

 

About friendship and boundaries in dharma


>Not as a student lecturing his teacher but as a Dharma friend sharing his observations to a Dharma friend.

-This is going to be long and winding... The word friendship gets used a lot nowadays but I think the concept of friendship has lost a lot of its depth and meaning. When people start to practice guru yoga and are trying to figure out what it is, who this guru is and so on, I always tell them to look at it as if they were getting to know a new person. It makes sense in the context of guru yoga too that it takes time to know the guru, not to even mention developing trust and faith. A friendship does not develop overnight but in my experience takes years and many shared experiences to build it on. This is one big reason why online sanghas and online dharma is so problematic because people don't even meet physically. Basically, you don't get to know a person through online exchange.

I've been blinded by my own western democratic conditioning and it has made my life and my work a lot more difficult that it could have been. Through many years of inventing "pragmatic tantra" I've learned that some principles of pragmatic dharma (as defined by Ingram and others) cannot be applied to tantra and just makes everything problematic and even conflicting.

They knew all about this in Asian dharma traditions. By setting up forms and norms, they set up boundaries. Personally I never had problems with boundaries because I've learned the traditional ways (incl. etiquette, code of respect, senior-junior, methodology and hard training) since I was a child but in my lack of understanding spiced with the Western spirit of invention (arrogance?), I questioned if dharma could be boiled down to the bare essentials. It worked great but then I started seeing the cracks, actions and decisions by my students that seemed stoopid, immature and disrespectful. At first I had no idea what was wrong but then I started realising that they lacked the context. My students had realised emptiness, traversed through all the bhumis but their "realization" looked only partially like mine. That's because most of you were never exposed to the above mentioned traditional ways.

It is true that I never formally taught a course entitled "The six paramitas". I never gave you a list of them or other similar expositions, and explained to you how all things in life can and should be tied together in the context of dharma practice. Having said that, I've spoken about all of it all the time. I've taught about ethics, lifestyle, work, family-life, patience and generosity. I've even lead pointing out sessions where you tie all these things with one's recognition of the natural state. And yet, I can say that none of my students got and understood what I've pointed out, told them and first and foremost exemplified with my daily example, be it online or in person. When I've said that my students haven't been listening, this is what I've meant. You heard some, the bits about meditative practice but missed most of the rest. Ay yay yay, you missed a lot. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just stating what you got and didn't get.

I've told my students for many years to go and study with other teachers, especially if you/they have hard time getting my teaching. I've said that I don't teach the very basics and of course I don't teach the dharma like most other teachers do. But now that my style, in my view, has turned out to be so insufficient and incomplete, the method needs to be changed quite significantly so that students get taught and develop understanding from those traditional or Asian aspects of dharma, or what you might call the other paramitas than meditative (dhyana paramita). Yeah, despite of having more than a dozen students who've realized the full scope of emptiness, I don't see the perfection of wisdom (prajna paramita) in you because you say and do things that in my view are stoopid, immature and disrespectful. I am not calling anyone stoopid, I am just saying that your realization doesn't look like mine and you don't feel the same as I do, except partially. I admit that at this stage of my dharma work, I feel I have failed but fortunately there is still time to rectify these mistakes and better the method before I die.

Back to your comment.

Reg making dharma friends. I have learned the hard way how westerners misunderstand and misinterpret their relationship with a western master. Again, I could say that this happens because you're not hearing me well, and additionally because you're not meeting me in person (or do so too rarely) or living with me. Karl, the Lion of Norway, is still the only one whose ever lived with me and because of that he knows my pulse the best.

My view of friendship is like I described above. If you don't meet me and get to know me in person, friendship between us won't develop. I would even say that not meeting my students in person sabotages my dharma transmission (again) because dharma transmission is much more than just pointing out the nature of mind.

As a person, I am not above you. As people, we are equal. In dharma, mutual respect between teachers and students is essential. Just like in all relationships, one might feel uncertain, doubtful or scared to say something but it is only a sign of understanding what a true friendship is when you speak your mind even when you might not feel that comfortable doing that. You've seen me do that so many times. I'm not going to have my students be disrespectful or offensive towards me anymore (one of my problems because of my western democratic mind) and I am learning to set my boundaries as a teacher of tantra, but if I sense your sincerity and honesty, it will be OK.


Baba, 25.10.22