sunnuntai 23. heinäkuuta 2017

Chatral Rinpoche doubting Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

Chatral Rinpoche doubting
Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

A few days into offering these empowerments, I met Chatral Rinpoche. His appearance was striking: he wore coarse felt garments and had a prominent nose and a Khampa bearing. Our conversation began like this:

"You, lama! Where are you from?" he demanded brusquely.

"I am from Nangchen.

"From where in Nangchen?"

"I am a descendant of Chokgyur Lingpa.

"I've been to Tsikey and I didn't see you there.

"I didn't always stay at Tsikey.

"Then where are you from? Out with it!"

"Chokgyur Lingpa's daughter, Konchok Paldron, had four sons one of whom
was my father.

"Hmmm ... hmmm ... I had heard that you were supposed to be the nephew
of Neten Chokling. I know him from Dzongsar, where he came to visit Dzongsar Khyentse, but I've never heard that he had a lama nephew. Now I hear that our Dudjom Rinpoche is receiving the Three Sections from such a nephew, and we all know that plenty of these so-called Khampa lamas come here to Central Tibet to try out their various tricks. So, I was wondering if you were just another one of them. Hmmm...

He was staring at me with his big eyes glaring the whole time.

A lot of Khampa lamas come here and cheat people by giving empowerments to which they have no lineage."

Dudjom Rinpoche, who was sitting right there, broke in and said,

It was I who asked him to give this transmission."

And soon they began to crack one joke after another, during which Chatral
Rinpoche turned to me with a smirk and said,

Okay, I guess you are not a fake after all. You can go ahead and give him the empowerment then."

- From Blazing Splendor, p. 304, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche