sunnuntai 14. maaliskuuta 2021

Report from the last two weeks by Ugi Muller

 

Report from the last two weeks


by Ugi Muller, Acharya and teacher-in-training



Around two weeks ago I experienced another shift. I felt a little bit stuck because the periods of thorough nonmeditation that had started to happen seemed to be gone again. So at one morning I was sitting and I asked myself what was going on. Where did the nonmeditation go? I mean, since the perfection of the 6th bhumi, stillness and settledness are always there when sitting and also pretty much off the cushion. However, that morning I realised that there’s a subtle grasp on this stillness. Together with a very subtle form of clinging to the constant vapours of the substrate mind that turn into thoughts. A very peaceful state but still dual and I kind of felt caught in it. Not knowing what to do, I then looked at my shrine. First at Shakyamuni, then at Guru Rinpoche and then at Gampopa. Until suddenly, Gampopa gave me a very direct instruction which I immediately understood.

What he said, was one sentence: “Cut through the bullshit!”

I knew exactly what to do and settled one-pointedly into empty cognizance. I noticed thoughts bubbling up from the vapours of the substrate mind but this time I didn’t waver. The second word of Garab Dorje “Decide upon one thing and one thing only!” came to my mind later. Sitting alertly in empty cognizance without wavering, there was no turning a little bit to that vapour (and thought) and just a little bit to this one. No bullshitting. It was like a firm stare but which was not attention-based. And a few moments later, cessation happened. All and every notion of duality was eaten up in this wide-awake, pure and luminous face of Buddha. It had something almost violent to it like if you press your finger on the end of a running water hose to increase the water pressure. I noticed all deluded tendencies to be eaten up immediately. No trace of a meditator left.

This probably lasted a minute (or longer). It’s hard to say because there was no trace of time-constraint left. I’ve had glimpses like that in the past but this time it was long enough to see what’s going on. And now I understand the difference between recognising the clarity aspect of the Dharmakaya and seeing the Dharmakaya directly. It’s not a difference in kind but in grade.

This opened up a new level of Atiyoga for me because now cessation is no accident anymore but available. It only needs that extra decidedness to cut through all the bullshit. No wavering, no half-heartedness, just mind directly looking at mind. “Confidence in the liberation of rising thoughts” is the third word of Garab Dorje. Oh how right he is! Emptiness for the win.

Even though there was some struggle with clinging to that “experience” the following 2 or 3 days, the 100% confidence remained and practice has been different. I’ve also noticed that emotions of jealousy, pride or subtle arrogance can’t hook me as before. No bullshit anymore for me, thanks!

This finishing line of the path to Buddhahood is again a very different animal on it’s own. And I’m eternally grateful for Rinpoche’s teachings and the unwavering support of the Mahasiddhas. With a special thanks to Gampopa to whom I have strong connection and whose pointing-outs never miss the mark. And to end this little report, I would like to include how Gampopa himself reported about his finish line and his crossing thereof in the first comment.

Thanks for reading & see you at the retreat later! ?

May all beings be free.



Gampopa reaching buddhahood in his own words:


»Then, the entity of that awareness was known like meeting someone known from before. The entity was seen standing out. Unlike with the previous meditation, it came as something that stood up, was very clean and clear, as something which had always been there.

Then, all previous dharma heard and all the guru’s dohas appeared vividly, as though the whole lot had been just dumped into my mind. And appearance flashed and flashed illusion-like; sometimes it came like it was just sitting there and sometimes it just came as the awareness’s own entity. That itself having become meditation, there was no meditation to do. With no meditator, all previous dharmas became just an outer husk, then the rigpa’s entity having gone to being without support, there was no longer a need to focus on rational mind. Sometimes it was empty, sometimes like an illusion. There was no need to apply conceptual analysis and examination to the appearances.

Sometimes, I would think that I should extend and extend the experience but that was the experience itself, too. I went to relying on realization. There could be no enhancement practice to make it greater. Well, the elder of Rongphu flew in the sky and this did provoke one enhancement of the realization—the way it was previously where all thoughts came as mist now was gone and I found myself thinking how joyful this was. Then thought went on to being luminosity alone. In that, thought was harmless. Then it occurred to me that none of it could be harmful. Then it went into being luminosity alone and from then on, till now, this has occurred without interruption. Then it was uninterrupted with no difference between night and day. For the yogin there is no dying and not dying. It occurred to me that there was no bardo.«


~ from: Tony Duff (tr.)- Gampopa teaches essence Mahamudra Vol. 2