lauantai 19. helmikuuta 2022

The Four Extremes and Emptiness

 

The Four Extremes and Emptiness



Pay attention. You are missing important bits. Let's clarify the view.

Emptiness means being at zero in all states and circumstances. When samsaric beings are tricked by mental and emotional states marked by the sense of self, me/I, buddhas remain in natural wakefulness that remains empty despite of internal or external circumstances. So, emptiness means remaining at zero despite of changes. This is why I use the term zero-dimensional.

Samsaric mind based and built on a sense of me-ness by definition is a state that is located in time and space. Our very problem of confusion is that we believe to exist in time and space. In other words, all of samsaric functioning is based on a delusion that binds us to these dimensions, space (3D) and time (4D). We become "things", "selves" or me's and you's stuck in the dimensions of space and time, reacting to internal and external stimuli.

Like you say, being a thing or being nothing are just opposing states, both stuck in the duality created by the other opposite. So, to become nothing, instead of being something, is not the solution. This means that we have to break that duality.

And excellent way to shatter any opposites is to use the tetralemma (skt. caturanta, p. catuskoti), or what I like to call "Rubik's cube of the four extremes". This is discussed by mahasiddha Nagarjuna in his writings as well as in countless other sources, including hindu mahasiddhas, Abhinavagupta to name one.

1st position: I am
2nd position: I am not
3rd position: Both, I am and I am not, are the same
4th position: Neither, I am nor I am not, are the same

To use a bit different verbal expression.

I exist
I don't exist
Both, I exist and I don't exist, are the same
Neither, I exist nor I don't exist, are the same

Tetralemma, the four extremes, has the power to establish the basic state through careful analysis where all corners are covered.

In tantra, we speak of gross, subtle and very subtle selfing that we remove layer by layer, or bhumi by bhumi, by meditating on gurus and deities. The same layers can be accessed by this analytical tool and the end result is insight into zeroness or emptiness of all self-phenomena.

You don't need to be a philosopher or an intellectual to use it. I definitely am not but I since I learned about it many years ago I kept it in the back of my mind and returned to it every now and then to test my understanding. It took me a loo-ong time to understand the last pair.

So, shatter space and time, 3D and 4D, to reach the groundless ground. All of this can be accomplished by practicing tantra and especially by using the bhumi knowhow we havebut it is very useful to look into other presentations and tools than the ones one is used to.

Mahamudra texts also discuss timelessness or breaking the subtle bond of existing as a being in time. That's the work of sameness of samsara and nirvana, or "one taste", related to bhumis 7-10.

That's where your worksite is at present. Good luck!


KR, 19.2.2022