maanantai 18. maaliskuuta 2019

Guru Rinpoche's Pure Land

Guru Rinpoche's Pure Land

Once, in meditation, I had a vision. It was a particular kind of vision and as soon as I saw it, I knew it was a past life memory.

In that life, several hundred years ago, I was a very devoted christian contemplative monk in Western Europe. We would pray to Jesus day and night in our monastery. Very deep practice. It was pure devotion, nothing like I've seen in christianity today.

One day, when there was a resting day at the monastery, all monks were out in the woods, on the hills and other places to have a bit leisure, but I decided to continue working on the roof of the church in our monastery. I was working just above the main door, perhaps 25 meters from the ground, when my foot slipped and I fell directly in front of the main entrance. I could vividly remember how the falling felt like and how the ground kept coming closer until my body hit against it. My body was crushed and died in an instant, there was nothing to be done.

But the moment when my body hit the floor and my mind, or soul ejected out from the body, an immense space opened in front of me, and Jesus Christ himself was standing in front of me, with a joyoys smile inviting me to go with him. There was nothing ”holy” or ”exalted” in this moment, though immense love and closeness between me and him. He appeared on the very instant I died, to come get me and to guide me on.

Painting of Zangdok Palri, Guru Rinpoche's Pure Land.

Now, Open Heart, is a form of Pure Land Buddhism where our main ”deity” is Guru Rinpoche Padmasambhava and the pure land is his pure land, Zangdok Palri. Remembering again this past life experience of mine, I felt like tying lifelong devotion and practice to the fact that when we, as Guru Rinpoche's Pure Land practitioners pass away, he will come to get us to his pure land, where we can continue our practice, in the most excellent guidance, in case if we haven't yet attained buddhahood in this body.

Please, don't take this as a matter of belief, for yogis are not believers. Take it as a hypothesis and deepen your devotion and practice. There is no reason, other than rejection, why you couldn't visit Zangdok Palri already in your meditations in this body.

Namo Guru Rinpoche.

-Kim Orgyen Pema, 18.3.2019