tiistai 12. lokakuuta 2021

Meeting Zen-master Harada Tangen Roshi, The Old Buddha

 

Meeting Zen-master

Harada Tangen Roshi,

The Old Buddha


Back in 2005, I spent 10 days in Tangen Roshi's temple. I went to meet him right after my training in Sogenji with Harada Shodo Roshi. I chatted with Tangen Roshi, whose nickname was "The Old Buddha", a few times and one of those times took place in a formal setting called dokusan.


My time with him was short but his transmission, the effect of his presence and energy on me, never left me. I now realise that I met a real attained buddha in him, and therefore he was/is the only living buddhist mahasiddha I ever met in person.


Tangen Roshi was a rare exception. He felt very different to all other roshis - zen masters - who I met before or since. He looked different, like a very relaxed and joyful old cat and when he gave talks, he spoke very differently than the rest (many of his teishos can be found online translated into English). I have a calligraphy collection of about 200 works, including one Tangen Roshi's piece that he gave to me when I left. His energy indeed is different to most others.


In this short video documentary you can see him say that even after he's gone, you all can turn to him for support. Only a mahasiddha has the knowledge to being able to say that.


So... This evening I wanted to say this and express my gratitude to Tangen Roshi and my excellent karma to have met him in person. Like I said he never left me, despite of us meeting only in brief over 15 years ago.


He gave and I received. Still grateful beyond everything else for that <3

https://youtu.be/2Wao1x8gCgc?t=45

Kim