torstai 30. kesäkuuta 2022

Life as a Tantrik vs Renunciation

 

Life as a Tantrik vs Renunciation


Tantriks, beware of ideas of renunciation because they will create unnecessary confusion. People absorb these influences often without realizing it, thus getting confused about the fact that tantrik way and view is the exact opposite to renouncing whatever things in life that monastics and recluses see as problematic or as distraction to attaining whatever it is they seek to attain. Tantrics don't turn away from anything. We don't run away from conflicts nor from enjoyments but meet them. All the things in lay lifestyle are perfectly OK and not obstacles to realizing buddhanature. After that is clear, you go about living your life.

However to be honest I have not found a perfectly happy and meaningful life myself. Sure, I teach the dharma for living, have a wonderful relationship and so on but at the same time I am isolated from my students, am quite lonely and not happy with the way things are in my sangha, which I've often discussed. I have much to be grateful for but also fundamental problems. Like everyone else I also try to better my life but because everything is not up to me and my efforts, and involve and are affected by a number of other factors, people and even the surrounding tantric culture; I feel that too often I am forced to accept compromise that obviously I am not perfectly happy about. The buddhanature of mine might be blooming like Himalayan flower valley but I've had to accept that whatever plans, hopes, dreams and intentions I've had, and the immense effort I've put into my work, is met with a cold shower by the samsaric world and its countless karmic factors right at my door step. That's just the way it is. So, long story short, this has definitely changed the way I look at the world, people, my students, my work and my future. Myself no longer being young like you, I've had to change my plans that hopefully will solve the problems and make my life more fulfilling.

It is a tremendous question: How do I lead a meaningful and happy life while trying to benefit others?

All I can tell you is to jump into it and see for yourself.


Kim Rinpoche, 30.6.2022